156 Climate Control Reset?
Mike
2003-09-05 21:02:49 UTC
Anyone know how to reset the climate control system on a 2002 156?

Mine worked fine until it was set to show degC instead of degF while in for
its 12k service. Now it only blows cold air if I set it to LO. At any
other setting it always blows warm air out of the drivers side vents -
passenger gets cool air (if that's what's needed to reach the set
temperature).

I've read in really old posts that such problems can be cured by resetting
the system. Can this be done by e.g. disconnecting the battery, or does it
need a trip to the dealer?
r11567
2003-09-08 03:01:28 UTC
I have a problem with my 2002 156 also ... probably after switching
from degree F to degree C. When I set it to LO, the wind is weaker
than at 16.5 degree C.
need a trip to the dealer?
Jon
2003-09-09 10:41:59 UTC
Post by Mike
Anyone know how to reset the climate control system on a 2002 156?
Mine worked fine until it was set to show degC instead of degF while in for
its 12k service. Now it only blows cold air if I set it to LO. At any
other setting it always blows warm air out of the drivers side vents -
passenger gets cool air (if that's what's needed to reach the set
temperature).
I've read in really old posts that such problems can be cured by resetting
the system. Can this be done by e.g. disconnecting the battery, or does it
need a trip to the dealer?
I've got a 147 2.0L with CC and I've had constant grief off my AC all summer
(nice n' sweaty!), which has finally been traced to a leak in the condenser.
It's taken them three goes to find it, but that's Alfa, I guess. On the
second or third time that the cooling function petered out in hot weather, I
did notice that as the coolant's effectiveness diminished, it was the
driver's zone that went warm first. Maybe you have a slow coolant leak?

However, I also seem to have a rather nasty earthing problem as well, so
maybe that's the cause of "wierdies" in the controls. It started with the AC
fan running faster whenever I pressed the brake pedal, and has now reached a
point where pressing the brake pedal can actually cause the entire car to
shut down, which makes for entertaining driving, I can assure you. Maybe you
have an earthing problem?!

hth, Jon
Mike
2003-09-09 17:28:59 UTC
Post by Mike
[...]
Thanks for the response.

I don't think mine is a coolant leak. Reason being, it was 100% fine before
it went in for the service; and when I set it to LO it makes the car like a
fridge. I still suspect the software upgrade, though I guess the earthing
problem is a possibility.

I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. Now it seems to be
balanced - unless I have it on LO, it heats the car up to 38 degC with hot
air coming from both sides!

It's getting to be a real pain having to fiddle around with the controls - I
used to just set a temperature and ignore it. :-(

Mike
Pete
2003-09-09 20:18:03 UTC
On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:28:59 +0100, "Mike"
Post by Mike
I still suspect the software upgrade, though I guess the earthing
problem is a possibility.
OK pre-service, not ok post-service; one is tempted to say this is not an
earthing problem - it's an earthling problem. One wearing overalls with an
AR logo. <g>

Pete

<***@cuore-sportivo.co.uk>
------------------------------------
<***@clubalfa.com>
156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
=============================
Gert-Jan
2003-09-09 20:08:49 UTC
It took our Renault dealer 5 tries to find the malfunction in de CC of my
wifes Twingo!
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)
hth, Jon
Mike
2003-09-23 18:55:06 UTC
Post by Mike
the system. Can this be done by e.g. disconnecting the battery, or does it
need a trip to the dealer?
Disconnecting the battery didn't cure it, but a trip to the dealer did.
Phew.
Joe Ortiz
Any idea what the dealer did to it?
Mike
2003-09-24 20:07:28 UTC
Post by Joe Ortiz
Any idea what the dealer did to it?
All they said was that they "reset the climate control and the ECU". Sounds
like Ctrl-Alt-Del to me.

Today was the perfect day for experiencing the benefits of my fully
functioning Climate Control though: 3.5 degC when I set off for work: set it
to 18.5 degC and it soon warmed up nicely. When I left work, the sun had
been out all day and the car was pretty hot inside: Left it at 18.5 degC and
it cooled it down beautifully. Joy!

Mike